Sunday, March 30, 2014

Landscape Textures

I gave a workshop to the art group, The Artist's Circle this past weekend. I promised to do some work on creating the illusion of textures in the landscape using watercolor.  I  love winter paintings but I think that most people have had enough of winter in this part of the world so I wanted to do a summer painting. I chose a subject that has lots of opportunity for implying texture and while I might not use this much texture in most of my work, it was a good sample for the class.


 Allyson's Lavender Garden 14 x 21 inches

Here is the process.

It starts with the drawing to clarify the value pattern and placement of elements withing the picture plane.









Next is a colour study (little sketch beside the drawing). It is very helpful have a colour pallet in mind before you start on the painting.











Most of the background is in place at this stage.
Sorry I did not take more photos as the painting progressed but sometimes you just need to keep going.








I did 4 demonstrations of texture techniques and will show photos of these in another post.

Thanks to the members of the Artist's Circle for having me back. I always love to spend time with  old friends and meet some new ones.