Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Learning from Ron Ranson

Ron Ranson is a noted British painter. My friend Denise Comeau, used this painting as the basis for a lesson in her classes and I am taking a page directly from her book. I intended to do this as a "paint along" lesson for my beginner's class but time did not allow so I just did it as a demonstration. This is the first time this class has watched a painting develop from the first washes to completion. So far we have just done parts of a painting like skys, trees, etc. This is a good example to use because Ranson is a master at rendering to complexity of a landscape in the simplest of forms and techniques.(Click on any of the images to see them in a larger size)

At this stage of my demonstration, I have done everything except the foreground trees. I followed Ranson's techniques and used a hake brush and worked wet in wet to make most of the painting. The left river bank was done after the water was dry but still using the big brush. I have also made some different colour choices than Ranson.





This is my finished copy of Ranson's painting.















After Ron Ranson 10 x 14 in.