Monday, October 8, 2012

Thanks giving

I have been painting roosters both for my own practice and for my class demonstrations. As a subject, roosters are colourful, varied and have plenty of character. As long as you don't actually eat the pour fellows, they are a very seasonal motif as well. Rooster images are considered good luck in homes. Here are some of my expressions of "roosters for luck"


 This was a class demonstration where I worked with no pre drawing and tried to get the value and the colour intensity on the first go. I hardly ever do get it in one layer but it is always something to aim for

We worked on some ink and wash techniques in the second advanced class. In this demonstration, I put the wash down first and then drew the rooster with an ink pen. It is a great way to get away from the temptation the paint inside the lines - there were no lines!

I have added more colour and plenty of loose line work with a bamboo dip den. What a great little character he turned out to be.
(These are all 10 by 14 inches)