Monday, March 14, 2011

A Blast from the Past

While staying at my sister's house I have had a new look at some of my old paintings. The ones I have selected to show here were painted early in my career (from 1994 to 1996). My techniques have changed. These were painted in lots of thin glazes with many layers and much lifting and adjusting. Though my drawing and composition have improved  over the years I am still pleased with these early works. There are one or two of my very earliest attempts also displayed at my sister's house but I think I will keep them just between family.
All of the following paintings were photographed under glass and you can see some reflections on the images.


Five Red Apples (3 x 9 inches)

Red and Green Apples (5 x 7 inches)

Oranges and Apples (3 x 5 inches)

The Gate (9 x 12 inches)

Paradise Post Office (7 x 5 inches)