Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ink and Wash

Helen's Tilley Hat 1
(2.5 x 2.5 inches)

The pilot pen used to draw this little study is one of my favourite drawing tools and I wanted to see how it would behave with a wash of watercolour. The scribble on the left shows the amount of pigment that would be spread with just water. I like the fact that the ink lines can be softened a little and that the colour can be muted or kept bright depending on wether or not you cover the lines with your wet brush.




Helen's Tilley Hat 2
(3 x 3 inches)

This second study was drawn with a waterproof Staedtler pigment liner. There is no bleeding of the lines but this pen does not feel as responsive as the first one. A good pen nonetheless and I use it a great deal.








Dancing on the Shore (Ink and Wash, 6 x 12 inches)

I like the light airy feel of this illustration and I am going to try some more of these.
By the way, all of these ink and wash drawings have been done on Canson's Drawing Bristol. It takes the ink beautifully but allows only the most direct application of paint.